I always imagined myself working for myself and not someone else. This is a feeling that has stayed with me from the time I was 14 years old working on construction projects with my brother and father. Despite this “gut” feeling, I did not have the tools or the guidance to understand that being an entrepreneur is an actual career path.
I was told to tow the line, do what I was told, get a formal education and things will fall into place. In other words, do what everyone else did.
Well, if you know about the “Law of the Averages” you know that if you do what everybody else does, you will achieve at the same level of everybody else and thus fall into the dull and unremarkable middle of the pack; a worker bee who punches in and punches out each day to get their share of the pie.
As you live and learn, you realize that if you want to separate yourself from the pack, you must understand and master the nuances of life that distinguish you from the rest and then implement a strategy to market your unique skill set so people know you exist!!!
If the world doesn’t know you exist, guess what, in the business world you don’t and will be lost in the masses. Therefore, you are required to build a personal brand about yourself that people will not only notice, but remember you as someone who brings value to their lives. The only person who will get you moving in the right direction is you.
Here are seven (7) steps to get you moving in the right direction to develop a mindset of success:
- 1. Decide you are going to “Go For It”. You must have the mindset that “I will NOT be denied”. Pay no attention to the naysayers or the “emotional vampires” who want to suck every piece of “juice” away from you so you could stay in the same dreary existence that they choose to live in.
- 2. Start – TODAY. Do not wait another second. Procrastination is the killer of people’s dreams. Take action now.
- 3. Find a mentor, group of similar minded people or an accountability party that will keep you motivated, focused and accountable on your goals.
- 4. Work on a DAILY basis (that means nights, weekends and holidays if necessary) towards a well-defined short-term goal.
- 5. Stay with it long enough to begin to understand the nuisances of the process, so you can get good at what you are doing. After a period of time, the right people will begin taking notice of your accomplishments.
- 6. Be patient. Remember, if this is something new your results may not be immediately apparent. It will take time before you earn income. Why? Simple. This is a new venture and you will make mistakes, have set backs and pursue ideas that may not work immediately. With time you will become skilled and experienced enough to become effective. Before you know it you will reap the financial benefits of your efforts and new opportunities will likely begin to appear.
- 7. Focus on producing results that will get you financially compensated. Financial compensation will fuel your initiative and drive, giving you the ability to build a level of momentum to provide you with the ability to achieve quantum results.